Blood, Sweat, and Steers

Photo contributed by Daniel Phillips

FFA members try to get rest during stock show season.

From stock shows to public speaking, from leadership events to lively meetings, from early morning feedings to late night preparing, FFA members put their heart, sweat, and tears into every event. This year FFA will continue their annual streak of going far in fairs, competitions, and events.

FFA will continue their themed meetings on November 5 with a Thanksgiving themed meeting and a cornhulling competition. The previous themes this year included a pinata party and a pumpkin carving. The FFA officers will continue to plan out different monthly meetings throughout the school year.

“We’re trying a lot of new things this year so we can try and increase member participation.” FFA Treasurer Frankie Nelson said. “We’re using more social media to advertise for our meetings and we’re adding more fun things to do. So far, our attendance to meetings has drastically increased, so it must be working!We’ll also raise money for canned food that we’ll donate, so be sure to vote for which officer you want to get pied in the face!”

FFA has been training twelve teams for the next event, LDE, on November 15.

“The next competition is coming up quickly,” Nelson said. “All of the LDE teams are having practices before school, at break, and after school to prepare for their competitions.”

At the Axtell LDE Invitational on October 21, freshman Ellie Grissett placed first in Greenhand Creed, sophomore Ally Robinson placed second in Senior Creed, and juniors Calla Childers and Kendal Crawford with sophomore MaKayla Van placed third in Radio.

“Fairfield FFA has a great tradition of being successful in our LDE Contest,”  agriculture teacher Daniel Phillips said. “I truly believe this year will be no different. The students are training hard and have another district title in their sights.”

Seniors Belle Johnson, Madi Issacs, Hallie Davidson, and sophomore Rachel Lewis placed seventh in Ag Advocacy, junior Rileigh White placed seventh in Job Interview, and senior FFA officer Lex Thompson, junior Madison Thaler,  senior Lyndi Wilson and Nelson placed ninth in Quiz.

“The invitational was a great warm-up event for all of us that will be competing at district in a few weeks,” Robinson said. “It helped us identify the things we need to work on.”

Robinson also competed in speaking at the State Fair of Texas, winning her division of 35 people and placing top 9 overall.

“I’ve already had many opportunities to speak this year and I’ve been honored to do well at the competitions,” Robinson said. “I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year brings.”

The heart of FFA, the stock shows, have also been well represented. At the Heart of Texas fair in October, Robinson placed second in both Junior and jackpot with her Gray Brahman. Sophomore Kade Miller placed fourth in Junior Brahman and won champion in jackpot with his Gray Brahman. Grissett also showed at the HOT fair.

“I didn’t do too well, but I still had fun.” Grissett said. “I learned a lot so that I can do better next time.”