Eagle Productions Class Reports on Community, School Events

Anna Kaye Williams, Editor-in-Chief

The Eagle Productions broadcasting class works year-round on both school-related and community-related projects. They have completed interviews at Freestone Medical Center, created weekly school news videos, and made documentaries including community members; they will continue these projects through the end of the school year.

“Each video I create is unique in its own way,” freshman Ally Robinson said. “Whether I am creating a story highlighting a school function, a foundation, or an individual, broadcasting has taught me not only how to gather information, but also how to capture the emotional side of the story.”

Freshmen Ashleigh Harris and Tedi Blassingame are covering this year’s seniors and the events surrounding them. Freshmen Elida Espinoza and Andrea Diaz are currently working on a video for freshman orientation concerning the library.

“This class has really helped me learn how to talk to people and ask questions,” Espinoza said. “We get to learn so many new things, and we get to learn about what people do for our community through the interviews. It makes me want to do more for our community, not just inside of school, but also outside of school.”

This class has really helped me learn how to talk to people and ask questions. We get to learn so many new things, and we get to learn about what people do for our community through the interviews. It makes me want to do more for our community, not just inside of school, but also outside of school.

— freshman Elida Espinoza

Freshmen Valeria Ramirez and Alyson Sanchez are working to present information on Autism awareness to the community. They interviewed Pat Harper at Freestone-Navarro Bi-County Co-Op in order to create a video on the topic.

“Before this interview with Pat Harper, I could never understand Autism well enough,” Sanchez said. “Like Pat Harper said during the interview, information on Autism is always scattered and sometimes inaccurate on the internet. Afterwards, I was able to understand Autism and what Freestone-Navarro Bi-County Co-Op contributes to our community.”

Ramirez and Sanchez are also working on advertising for the public library, promoting the programs it provides to the community. They have spoken with the staff there, filmed the different sections of the library, and will create a video on the subject.

“Broadcasting gives us a glimpse of the real world and prepares us on how to deal with stress that may come,” Ramirez said. “It has given me new information over events and programs that our community and school has to offer. It also gives a whole new perspective on topics that influence our small town that can later affect our future generation.”

Freshmen Rachel Lewis, Chloe Bonner and Nathan Dunlap are currently interviewing Dr. LeBlanc at Freestone Medical Center. Dunlap is also reporting on the Fairfield ISD summer camps. Freshman Austin Mason is creating a video about principal Von Wade’s retirement. Freshman Jordan Maciel and Robinson are working on a video recapping prom.

“I love the creativity aspect of video production and how each project is different,” Robinson said. “There have been many times when we have received positive feedback on our videos from community members, teachers, and students. It’s nice to know the videos we create are enjoyed by everyone in our community.”

The class has a YouTube channel, titled Eagle Productions, where they have uploaded videos since the beginning of the school year.

“I had experience with broadcasting in junior high in the Digital Media class,” Sanchez said. “That led me to believe the classes would be similar, but I eventually learned Eagle Productions gives us more freedom with our work. Looking back while working on my projects, I’ve never given much thought to the dedication reporters and journalists have put into their own works.”