Students Attend Local Job Fair

Payton Botelho

Senior Lexis Combs visits with the National Guard representative.

The following correction has been made to this story:  The Fairfield Hiring Fair was hosted by the Heart of Texas Workforce Development Board, the City of Fairfield, and the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce. The venue was provided by Fairfield ISD at the Career and Technology Center.

The Heart of Texas Workforce Development Board, the City of Fairfield, and the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce hosted at hiring fair at the FISD Career and Technology Center on September 30. Math teacher Nicole Crawford took her college preparatory classes to the event.

“What I found interesting was how many interesting jobs are out there,” senior Megan Spearmen said. “This helps with knowing what is out there and what you want to be in the future.” 

Companies including Long Industries, Sanders Farm, and the Army National Guard presented information and job opportunities. This gave the students a wide range of options and ideas to consider. Students asked questions about job requirements like the need of a college degree. 

I’m glad my students had the opportunity to attend the Fairfield Hiring Fair,” Crawford said. “The students were able to talk with potential employers about options within each company.”

Near the end of their high school careers, juniors and seniors start to think about their futures and make plans accordingly. 

“My advice is to find something you enjoy doing,” branch manager of Heights Home Health, Tonya Tepe, said. “Find something that makes your heart happy because it makes the job less of a job and more of an enjoyed hobby.”

Any seniors or juniors needing help with future career plans may contact Cindy Kirgan at her email [email protected] for help.