Senior to Attend FCCLA Nationals in June

Walia pictured with Superintendent Jason Adams.

Senior Harpreet “Robby” Walia won second place in the state FCCLA category Career Investigation on April 9, and is now advancing to nationals. Walia has been in FCCLA since he was a freshman but started to do this event his sophomore year.

“I have been in FCCLA since the beginning of my high school career,” Walia said, “however, the proposition of going to nationals was not the main enticing factor. I joined to be a part of something that would allow me to explore my interests.”

For his event, Walia chose to research careers in pathology. After gathering information, Walia input it into a format that would fit the FCCLA competition rubric.  

“I chose the career of pathology because it interested me. I collected information from the internet and from a practicing pathologist.” Walia said. “I made a speech that was filled with passion and way too many jokes. All in all, I had a load of fun doing it.”

Two other Fairfield students participated in the FCCLA state competition.  Lauren Cochram and Blaine Tucker were a team in the category entrepreneurship, but they did not place.

“Lauren and Blaine were one of the things that kept me going,” Walia said. “It was great to friends by my side during this.”

Nationals will be held in Nashville, Tennessee from June 27 to July 2. Walia will been there the whole week participating in conferences and touring Nashville before competing in the event. 

“Going to nationals was just the icing on top of the insanely awesome cake,” Walia said.