Volleyball players support teammate

Anna Kaye Williams, Editor in Chief

As silverware clatters and the smell of brisket fills the air, guests indulge themselves in the delicious food and await the coming night, knowing their efforts will support a good cause.

There have been two fundraisers so far to benefit sophomore Camii Wilson’s mother, Kande Wilson. The money raised at the events will aid Mrs. Wilson directly in her battle with cancer.

“It makes me feel very blessed and very appreciated,” Mrs. Wilson said. “[It] makes me want to get better so I can give back one day.”

Family and friends held a benefit dinner and dance at the Depot X on Saturday, October 6 from 5 p.m. to midnight. Donations of $10 or more were accepted at the door, and a meal of brisket was served.

“It makes me feel very grateful,” Camii said. “I have so many wonderful people and teammates helping out with my family.”

The JV volleyball team hosted one of the benefits for Mrs. Wilson on Saturday, September 22 at Flippin’ Fun, collecting a total of $1,098.

“The fundraiser was eye-opening,” junior volleyball player Lyndi Wilson said. “I got to see a lot of our community come together to help raise money for a good cause.”

Junior volleyball player Madi Isaacs originally developed the idea and then obtained help from Flippin’ Fun’s owner Hilary Burns to organize the event.

“It made me feel happy because I got to see all the kids jumping and having fun,” Isaacs said. “I also [saw] people coming from out of town just to stop by and grab a snow cone or donate because they knew that we were fundraising for a good cause.”

The event consisted of bounce houses for younger children aged 2 to 12, a snow cone stand, and t-shirt and bracelet sales.

“It was nice to see the kids having fun,” Lyndi said. “But I could also see that Camii was having fun. It felt good to know that even for a few hours we could get her smiling.”