Students gather for See You at the Pole

Mayra Soto

Jaycee Jobe singing, Music Pastor Leon Thomas on acoustic guitar, Anna Kaye Williams on piano, Jonathan Thomas on drums, and David Thomas on bass.

Braden Bossier, Staff Reporter

Joined hand in hand, students sang praises at the top of their lungs. A community wide worship service moved souls with the heartfelt message.

Students gathered for the yearly tradition of prayer, See You at the Pole, on Wednesday morning. That evening students gathered in the Auditorium to participate in a worship service lead by the First Baptist Church student band.

“For me, it was different than just praying in church,” junior Drew Williams said. “It was a lot of fun because we got to bring our talents before God and worship with our peers.”

Junior David Thomas, president of Fellowship for Christian Athletes, played the bass guitar and sang in the band.

“I’m not entirely comfortable singing in front of all my classmates,” Thomas said. “Yet, I feel like God continues to give me opportunities to express my faith and for that I’m grateful.”

Senior Anna Kaye Williams played the keyboard and sang. At one time during the worship, there were some technical difficulties, but the band kept playing.

“Even though the slides messed up, I could still hear a lot of people singing,” Williams said. “It really opened my eyes to the fact that we don’t need material things to be able to worship.”

After a song, Williams spoke shortly.

The moment I put the microphone to my mouth to speak in front of others, I get insanely nervous,” Williams said. “Even though I had to speak, God gave me the confidence to speak and used me in spite of my nerves.”

Before the service, the pastors prayed with the worship team.

“My favorite part was praying with the pastors and worship team before the service,” Thomas said. “Talking to God is just the most indescribable feeling.”

At a point between songs, the pastor asked Anna Kaye to sing a solo.

“I was totally, genuinely worshipping,” Williams said.” “I wasn’t paying attention to anyone else in the audience, and it was just a really sweet moment between the Lord and me”

Drew Williams also had a solo on his electric guitar.

“I kept messing up during my solo and I’m pretty sure lots of people noticed, but I continued to play because I knew it wasn’t about me,” Williams said. “We were there to

worship our God and to share that worship with those around us.”