Varsity Volleyball Gains Experience in Tournaments

Molly Allred, Managing Editor

Varsity volleyball competed in the Robinson tournament on Thursday and Saturday, winning the consolation finals. All three teams play today in Athens beginning at 5 p.m.

The tournament season has been very beneficial for the team because we are able to play a bunch of games in a short period of time,” Coach Johnson said.It is also a time for the team to build chemistry and bond since we spend so much time together on tournament days.”

They played six games in the Robinson tournament, beating Waco Reicher, Gatesville, Cameron, and Pflugerville Connally. They lost to Crawford and Copperas Cove, advancing to and winning the consolation finals.

“We were up against some pretty tough teams, so I’m happy with our victories,” senior Ashlyn Partain said. “As a team we continue to better ourselves, so I’m ready for the next tournament.”

Last weekend, varsity competed in the Graham tournament, placing sixth out of 15 teams. Over two days, they played eight games, winning against Mineral Wells, Borger, Lubbock Monterey, and beating Waxahachie Life two different times. They were defeated by Graham and Vernon.

“This was the first tournament where we got to stay overnight in a hotel, so that was fun,” junior Emi Bonner said. “I’m proud of how we did and even though we didn’t win it was still a good experience.”

Last year the team lost eight seniors, so there are only two returning players, Aaryn Scires and Braden Bossier.

Senior Aaryn Scires sets the ball while juniors Kaylee Adams and Braden Bossier and sophomore Jennifer Pina prepare for the play. Photo by Jashaughn Hatcher.

“Pretty much the whole team is new this year, so we’ve been trying to bring everyone together and back to the level we were before,” senior Aaryn Scires said. “So far we’ve been meshing well and are starting to play like a team.”