Students Receive ILPC Awards

Seventh graders Ellie Grissett, Spain Covert, McKinna Brackens, and Jake Schick receive awards for their hard work. Photo contributed by Tammy Gawryszewski.

Anna Kaye Williams, Staff Reporter

Students from the junior high EGLZ News digital media class competed in the UIL Interscholastic League Press Conference and received a total of seven awards for their entries. The class, with teacher Tammy Gawryszewski, will continue in the years to come and will be available to sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students.

“Thanks to digital media, I have had the opportunities to become more adept with my technological skills,” eighth grader Ally Robinson said. “I have found that you don’t have to be ‘techno’ in order to become good with technology.”

In the General News Story category, Jordan Maciel placed third. In General News Writing, Jeremy Kilkenny, Rachel Lewis, Ally Robinson, and Jordan Maciel placed third. In the Promotion/ Commercial/ PSA category, Addisyn Cox, Evan Chavers, and McKinna Brackens placed second. In the Special Coverage category, McKinna Brackens and Ellie Grissett placed third.

“In February, we submitted our videos for the contest hoping to at least place in one area,” Gawryszewski said. “I was shocked when I saw how well we did.”

The entire EGLZ News staff placed second in the Documentary category, second in the Graphics category, and first in the Announcements category.

“I remember Mrs. G. telling me at the beginning of the year [that] technology is like learning math, you try and try again, until you solve the problem correctly,” Robinson said. “[That] has always stuck with me.”

Eighth graders Nathan Dunlap, Jeremy Kilkenny, Alexis Gallegos, Rachel Lewis, Jordan Maciel, and Ally Robinson receive certificates at awards day. Photo contributed by Tammy Gawryszewski.