Rotary Club’s 44th Annual Talent Show

Senior Jolan Somogyi plays her guitar to “Drop of Jupiter” at the Rotary Club’s 44th Annual Talent Show. Photo By: Erin Rachel

Brittani Oglesbee, Editor in Chief

The Fairfield Rotary Club held the 44th Annual Talent Show in the FHS auditorium on April 20th. The Fairfield Jazz Band performed music as well as the National Anthem before the show. Acts included singing, dancing, and stand up comedy.

“We had a good variety of talent this year, and a good number of acts to make for an entertaining show,” Rotary Club member Angela Oglesbee said. “We had 20 entries this year, and a lot of local talent present.”

Miss Freestone Country Peyton Daniels and Miss Teen Freestone County Morgan Coleman performed their talent routines for the upcoming Miss Texas and Miss Teen Texas pageant. They also helped distribute awards after the judges made their decisions. In the 13-17 age category, sophomore Brianna Pilgree placed first signing “Someone Like You” by Adele, and senior Jolan Somogyi placed second.

“There were a lot of talented people competing that night,” Somogyi said. “I just felt grateful that the judges thought I had enough talent to win the prize.”

Somogyi performed the song “Drops of Jupiter” by Train on her guitar. She also sang. She received a check for 50 dollars in addition to her medal.

“I choose the song ‘Drops of Jupiter’ because it is a song that brings happy memories to me when I hear it,” Somogyi said. “By signing this song I hoped to share some of the joy I get from singing it with the audience and add on to those good memories.”

In the age 18 and up category, senior Kaytlyn Brewer placed first and received an award and a 100 dollar check. In addition to prizes offered, Rotary uses the funds earned by the Talent show to better the community.

“This annual event provides funds for our local Rotary scholarships,” Oglesbee said. “Rotary appreciates our sponsors, the talented participants, the Fairfield Jazz Band, FISD for the use of auditorium, Theresa Farris for her assistance with audio, and Rich Schaufert as Master of Ceremonies.”