An Evening in Wonderland

Culinary Arts Class to Host Community Dinner Event

Kaytlyn Brewer, Copy Editor

A Mad Hatter, a crazy Queen and a belated appointment.

The culinary arts students will host An Evening in Wonderland Dinner Event April 13 at 6:30 in the Long Handle Spoon Cafe to show off their talents to the community.

“After reading a book called Teach Like a Pirate last year I wanted to create an overall theme for my classroom,” Culinary Arts Teacher Laura Craddick said. “This ongoing overall theme encourages me as well as my students to think outside of the box and take advantage of each moment.”

Students thought of the idea after having suggestions from community members and teachers from other campuses.

“After discussion students have agreed [the community members and other teachers] should get a chance to enjoy the meals,” Craddick said. “This is our 3rd year having a public meal event.”

Students have worked on their culinary skills since school started in August. Each month the students create menus, make the meals and deliver the meals to paying teachers.

“I decided to do Culinary because I have always had a passion for cooking,” Senior Kaitlyn Neidich said. “I have grown so close to the other seniors. We have been together for all four years and so its like we are a family.”

At the community event, the students will serve an appetizer trio, sunshine salad, surf  and turf, roasted new potatoes and green beans, panna cotta with citrus gelee and fresh berry compote. Tickets can be reserved for $20 by emailing Mrs. Craddick.

“Throughout the year students have completed projects, activities and other meals around this theme, from matching vocabulary on over-sized pocket watches, to creating Mad Hatter Hats with things they had learned on them, to having a Mad Hatter Tea Party as we discuss etiquette and table settings,” Craddick said. “Giving students a quirky theme helps them adapt meals to the theme which is a marketable skill need in careers such as Event Planning and Catering.”