FCCLA rewards Leadership, Career Prep

Nine qualify for State

Jamesha Hatcher

Senior Alyssa Clifton and junior Kyleigh Hudson prepare for FCCLA star events and tests.

Jamesha Hatcher, Entertainment Editor

The State qualifiers at the FCCLA conference prepare for round two when the State Convention takes place in Dallas April 5-7. Of the competitors sent, 9 were victorious at the region meet and qualify to do the same at State.

“I am extremely proud of the hard work and effort our members put forth,” chapter advisor Martha Holland said, “and also the growth they show throughout the year.”

Senior Christina Ferguson placed 2nd in her STAR event, Career Investigation, and was the only one to advance in this category.

“This is the will be my second year advancing to state and I’m really nervous but excited,” Ferguson said. “Thank you to Mrs. Craddick and Mrs. Holland for giving me this chance because I wouldn’t have made it without them.”

The FCCLA chapter was also awarded the Treasurer’s Award for the 6th consecutive year.

“I’m super proud of the achievements our chapter has made,” senior Jaylon Thomas said. “As the vice president I can truly say they have worked really hard.

Junior Hailey Antley, junior Kathryn Bogle, junior Tylie Bruce, sophomore Nayeli Campos, sophomore Breanna Gray, junior Jasmine Jones, sophomore Charity Starr, and senior Jamesha Hatcher all placed gold in their respective tests and advance to State.

FCCLA members increased practice hours in preparation for the Region 3 Leadership Conference in Waco Feb. 9. To advance to the State Leadership Conference, this year in Dallas, members of the chapter taking a FCSA test must achieve a score of 90 or higher to advance. STAR Event participants must place in the top six.

“It’s fun watching our students apply the skills they learn in the Family and Consumers Sciences classes in real life at the Region Conference,” chapter advisor Laura Craddick said. “It’s even more rewarding watching them place after all the hard work they do to prepare.”

With the tests ranging from Culinary Arts to Career Preparation, students participating studied information ranging over multiple topics, and gained new friends along the way.

“FCCLA is a great way to connect with others and I encourage students to join,” senior Jasmine Gomez said. “I’m sad that this is my last year, but I have enjoyed every moment so far.”