Lady Eagles Hoop Their Way to Regional Playoffs Tonight

Payton Botello

Senior McKinna Brackens takes a free throw in the first quarter. The Lady Eagles defeated Malakoff 71-26.

Mayrin Espinoza, Reporter

Landing the regional playoffs, the Lady Eagles will take on Hitchcock at 6 p.m. tonight at Waco Midway. 

“Just so much work goes into the season, but it’s also exciting to get to this point in the year – the chance to get to the state tournament for the fourth time,” head basketball coach and girls athletic director Sally Whitaker said. “It’s a very exciting time but also very emotional.” 

Rice and Koutze will play at 7:30 p.m. The two winners will play at 1 p.m. on Saturday at Waco Midway in the Regional Championship for a shot at the state tournament in San Antonio next weekend. 

“I think what we try to do mostly is just teach them how to be good teammates,” Whitaker said. “[There are] different rules on the team. Sometimes you like your role; sometimes you don’t. But it’s about how successful the team can be and not just individuals, so we just try to stress the importance of teamwork”

The Lady Eagles took the title of Area Champions against Mildred which led them to the regional quarterfinals defeat of Malakoff Tuesday night with a score of 71- 26.

“The 22-23 season has been so much fun and I’m actually really sad that it’s coming to an end so quickly,” sophomore Jimilyah Nash said.  “I have created some really strong bonds with my teammates this year and I try to cherish every moment I have with them. I’m very grateful to be a part of something like this.”

The overall standings are 36-2 holding a 33-win streak for the Lady Eagles.