Lady Eagles to Continue District Play at Home Friday Night

Make-up Game at Franklin on Saturday

Payton Botelho

Shadasia Brackens takes the jump against Mexia.

Mayrin Espinoza, reporter

With three consecutive state finals appearances and  two state championships behind them, the Lady Eagles will continue district play against the Westwood Panthers here tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. They will travel to Franklin on Saturday to play, games starting at 11 a.m.

“Coach Barger and Coach Whitaker always push me to become a better athlete and believe in me everyday,” freshman Kaylee Williams said. “It’s a good challenge to play on varsity as a freshman because I have to step up and be a part of the team and work as hard as everyone else.”

The Lady Eagles are currently on a 20 win streak, with a 5-0 record, which continues to keep them first in district. The girls have a season record of 23-2 and are currently ranked third in division 3-A

“At the beginning of the season I was not able to play due to my second knee surgery,” sophomore Addison Posey said. “My expectations were to come back quickly and get back to my normal self. It’s been a long process and I’m still recovering but each day gets better.”

The girls won their fourth district game Tuesday against the Elkhart Elks with a score of 77-11.

“No matter how bad it gets, I’m glad that I am even able to be on the court playing,” Posey said. “I remember how difficult it was to watch from the sidelines last year and not be able to play because of tearing my ACL.”

Shadasia Brackens and McKinna Brackens are currently 2 of 61 girls who have been nominated for the McDonald’s All-American Game set to take place in Houston at the Toyota Center on March 28. 24 girls will be selected for the team.

The team, coached by Sally Whitaker, Randy Barger, Tarsha Graves, Dennis Johnson, consists of seniors McKinna Brackens, Shadasia Brackens, juniors Kristavia Nelms, Lillian McBean, Avery Thaler, Charlee Brackens, sophomores, Jimilyah Nash, Jaci Abram, Addison Posey, freshman Blayke Brackens and Kaylee Williams.