Grand Band to Hold Winter Concert Monday Evening

Casey Couture and Jocelyn Salazar

The Grand Band From Eagle Land will have their annual Christmas concert on December 12 at 7:00 p.m. The songs chosen for this year’s concert are “Santa the Barbarian,” “Bell Carol Rock,” “Christmas at the Movies,” “All I want for Christmas is You,” “Silent Night,” and the band’s signature performance of “Cantique de Noel.”

The annual Holiday in the Halls open house will be held from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. before the concert

Head Band director Mr. Russel Holland chose the songs for the concert. He also considered input from the other band directors as well as the students. 

“I think about if the songs will be liked and if they have been played in the past few years,”  Holland said. “I keep in mind what the public audience will think about the song choice and if it gets played too frequently.”

The song selection has new songs as well as old. Students have mixed emotions about the songs. 

”I wish we could be playing Pachelbel’s Canon,” sophomore Jacelia McMillian said. “I really like the way it sounds when the band plays it.” 

The other song choices that were considered were: “Polar Factory,” “December on the Square,” “Holiday March,” and “Ring, Ring, Ring.”

“I really like the song choices for the concert,” sophomore Kylie Story said. “I feel like it truly embodies the Christmas spirit.”

This is the seniors’ last Christmas concert with the band. 

”It’s a bittersweet ending,” senior Elizabeth Wrath said. “But I had fun along the way.” 

Five students made All-region band on December 3. The students are: sophomore Casey Couture, sophomore Austin Smith, senior Aaron Hendrickson, junior Caris Mayer, and sophomore Lydia Morgan. Lydia Morgan also advanced to All-Area band.