Track and Field Head to State

Jordan Maciel, Co-Editor in Chief

Ten students will advance to the state track meet after qualifying at the regional meet at Midway High School. The girls placed second as a team and the boys team placed seventh in region.

The State track meet will be held in Austin, Texas at the University of Texas’ Mike A. Myers Stadium. All 3A advancing schools will compete on Thursday, May 6. 

At region, Tyler Smith advanced by placing first in the 200 with a time of 22.13 and first in the 400 in 49.59. Both were Tyler’s personal record. 

“Making new personal records at regionals was a great accomplishment for me,” senior Tyler Smith said. “I am excited to see what comes out of the state meet.” 

The Lady Eagle are advancing in state in the 4×100 relay, 4×200 relay, 4×400 relay, high jump, and shot put. Addie Cox, Shadasia Brackens, Carsyn Cox and Bre Dowell placed second in the 4×100 relay with a time of 49.52.

“I am so proud of our relay team thus far, we have worked very hard,” senior Carson Cox said. “I am very fortunate to have had this good of an ending season and with such amazing girls.”

The 4×200 relay placed second at regionals with a time of 4:07.84. Runners include Madox Mitcheal, Avery Thaler, Ava Grecu and Shadasia Brackens.

“I expect all of our relays to be in the top five at state,” sophomore Shadasia Brackens said. “We’ve had a good season, and we should end our season with a bang.”

The 4×400 relay placed second at regionals with 4:07.84. Runners include Madox Mitcheal, Avery Thaler, Ava Grecu and Shadasia Brackens. Also advancing is Shadasia Brackens in the high jump and Breyunna Dowel in shot put. Shadasia placed first with a personal record of 5-05.00, and Breyunna placed first as well with a personal record of 38-00.25.

“Even though this is my first year doing shot put, it turned out way better than I expected it to,” junior Breyunna Dowel said. “I am proud of myself for getting this far.”