Debate to State

Advancing debaters junior Robby Walia, sophomore Kelton Carleson, seniors Klay Bonner and Devin Johnson hold their awards with CX sponsor Nicole Crawford. Photo contributed by FHS.

Abbie Cunningham, Editor in Cheif

Two CX debate teams advanced to the state contest in Austin and will compete March 20 and 21. The district contest was held Feb. 4 here. 

“I’m so proud of all of my debaters that competed,” CX debate sponsor Nicole Crawford said. “They will be able to learn so much from the state competition. It’s going to be great!”

All four debate teams placed first, second, fifth, and sixth. Teams from Rusk placed in third and fourth. 

“We all have worked day and night in order to win the competition,” junior Robby Walia said. “Now both of the Fairfield teams are heading to state with our heads held high.”

Walia and sophomore Kelton Carleson placed first. Junior Teresa Rodriguez and senior Michael Arbaiza placed sixth.

“Robby and I work really well together and I’m proud of what we did,” Carleson said. “But, to be honest, he carries the whole team.”

Freshmen Payton Botehlo and Spain Covert placed fifth. Seniors Devin Johnson and Klay Bonner placed second.

“It felt really good to go to state,” Johnson said. “It was nice to know that three years of work paid off.”

Walia received the top speaker award. 

“I was overjoyed to see that I got the Best Speaker Award,” Walia said. “I was amazed the first time I heard that we won the event.”