Lady Eagles Look Toward Strong Season

Junior Essence Watkins shoots from the block. Photo by Nereyda Espinoza.

Nereyda Espinoza, Managing Editor

Girls’ basketball began on November 12 with a win over Athens. In pre-district and tournaments they have played Robinson, Canton, Waco High, Waco University, Ennis, and Kerens with only one loss. They will continue to compete at the Fairfield Tournament today.
“I look forward to what we are going to do as a team,” senior Belle Johnson said. “We have big goals set and if we continue to work together and better each other on and off the court, we’ll get there.”
Along with girls’ basketball coach Sally Whitaker, assistant coaches Randy Barger, Tarsha Graves and Jermaca Brown coach the girls.
“This group of young ladies have a great bond and have great attitudes,” Graves said. “We are ready to take the journey to the next level this year. I am very excited to watch them grow and reach their goals for the season.”
Lady Eagles lost to Canton five times in the six previous years. This year they beat them with a score of 65-47.
“It took every single player and coach on the team to pull off that win and we all put in what we needed to come out on top,” Johnson said. “It was a great win, but now that it’s over, we have bigger and better things to accomplish.”
Freshman and Jv also started on November 12. They have played six games.
“I am excited about the season,” Whitaker said. “We have a talented group of girls to work with, and the expectations are high this year.”
Bossier and Dowell are in the 2020 preseason super centex girls basketball team.
“I just was so excited and really proud of myself for achieving that,” Bossier said. “I also was so happy to be on there with Bre, she is so great.”