Band to Compete in Marching Contest

Nereyda Espinoza, Managing Editor

The Grand Band from Eagle Land will compete at the marching contest on October 19 at Midway High School in Waco. 

“I feel the band is very good,” band director Bill Large said. “I feel their scores reflect that this band is ready to embrace the next step toward first divisions.

Last year, the band contained 227 students. There are 203 students involved in band this year. This year’s drum majors are seniors Conner Jackson and David Thomas and juniors Erica McQuinn and Frankie Nelson. 

“The band did okay for their first marching contest,” head drum major and senior Conner Jackson said. “Based on how they did, I feel like we’re going to do really good next Saturday.” 

Practices started on July 29 and the band practices every Monday until October 14. They started marching the whole show at halftime on September 27.

“The music a good mix of military songs that right show ups and downs in performance,” Large said. “The marching show is perfect for military style.”

Their marching show consists of the fanfare composed by band director Russell Holland, Freedom City, The Klaxon, Americans We, and Noble Men of Kyle.

“The Klaxon represents the alto and soprano parts of band music,” Large said. “Americans We voice the melody and support music.” 

The band went to Troy yesterday for a practice contest. They were assessed in their marching and told what needs to be fixed and what they did good.

“The main problem with this band is confidence in themselves,” Large said. “It’s real low.