Track and Field Qualify for State

The+girls+placed+2nd+in+the+4x400-meter+relay%2C+beating+the+school+record+with+a+time+of+4%3A01.81.+The+team+consisted+of+Seniors+Morgan+Coleman%2C+Iesha+Jenkins%2C+Junior+Jamisha+Fields%2C+and+Sophomore+Carsyn+Cox.+

The girls placed 2nd in the 4×400-meter relay, beating the school record with a time of 4:01.81. The team consisted of Seniors Morgan Coleman, Iesha Jenkins, Junior Jamisha Fields, and Sophomore Carsyn Cox.

Braden Bossier, Staff Reporter

Last Friday, the regional track meet was held at the Sam Houston campus in Huntsville. Out of the 20 athletes that competed, five girls and two boys will advance. The state meet will held May 10-11 at the University of Texas campus. The Lady Eagles tied for 2nd overall.
Senior A.J. Polk placed 3rd in the 200-meter dash. Senior Morgan Coleman won first in the 800-meter run. She beat the school record and her personal record in the with a time of 2:18.
“I’ve never made it to State in track before,” Coleman said. “To be able to go in two events is proof that God is good. I’ve been wanting this since Freshman year and I’m so happy I am able to go with an awesome group of girls has been one of the highlights of my senior year.”
“I feel great about advancing to state,” Fields said. “I mean it’s a little scary because the level of competition is getting harder but that’s motivation for us.”
The boys 4×200 earned second but got disqualified after stepping into another team’s lane. The girls 4×200-meter relay placed 3rd. The team consisted of Jenkins, Cox, junior Jada Clark, and freshman Breyunna Dowell.
“I am so grateful and give all praises to God,” Jenkins said. “During the meet I was a nervous reck and I am never nervous, but all the hard work we have been putting in paid off.”
Senior Jashaughn Hatcher placed 2nd in boys shot put and senior Haley Phillips earned 1st place in girls.
“I was unhappy with the distance I had threw,” Phillips said. “It was not my best but it didn’t matter because I was so excited, I felt like throwing everything up.”