Junior Earns Position in All-State Band

Junior David Thomas placed second at the area band tryouts on January 12. Photo contributed by David Thomas.

Anna Kaye Williams, Editor-in-Chief

Sophomore baritone player Logan Anders and junior clarinet player David Thomas tried out for for the Texas All-State band on Saturday and placed ninth and second, respectively. Thomas earned a place in the state band and will travel to San Antonio February 13-16 for the clinic and convention.

“I’m thrilled to have the privilege to play with so many great high school musicians,” Thomas said. “I’m excited and relieved to make the band.”

Texas Music Educators Association, or TMEA, hosts the convention annually. Over the course of four days, speakers will exhibit presentations about band, orchestra, teaching, musical theatre, and other music-related topics. Several companies will showcase high quality instruments and accessories for the attendees to observe and test.

“I love music and it’s a great opportunity for me to get a taste of what college bands will be like,” Thomas said. “I’m really excited about test[ing] a bunch of professional gear.”

Anders and Thomas received their music several months ago and began practicing. They qualified for area at the All-Region tryouts December 1.

“[David] has experience behind him,” head band director Bill Large said. “[He] got extra help from [a] true clarinet teacher. Most of all, he want[ed] it.”

Thomas began lessons with a private tutor in September to prepare for these tryouts.

“My teacher fixed mistakes in my music that I couldn’t hear and improved the overall quality of my etudes and scales,” Thomas said. “She helped improve my general playing ability. I hope to continue lessons with [her] because she has tremendously helped me in my goal of becoming an All-State band member.”