Volleyball players receive All-District awards

All-District volleyball players include (from left to right) senior Ashlyn Partain, junior Emi Bonner, sophomore Alyssa Williams-Whitaker, junior Rebecca Dunlap, senior Kailyn Partain, and senior Katie Judd. Not pictured is junior Braden Bossier, junior Kayelee Adams, junior Jada Clark, senior Kyleigh Hudson, and sophomore Jenny Pina. Photo by Erin Rachel.

Erin Rachel, Staff Reporter

Following the 2018 season, many varsity volleyball players received All-District awards. The awards are selected between the five schools in our district, and they include academic all-district, superlative awards, and all-district teams.

Coaches in the district voted on all these awards and include all varsity players for that season. Ten girls received awards and four of them received superlative awards, which are the highest attainable awards.

“I am proud of the girls’ achievements,” head volleyball coach Dennis Johnson said, “especially since these awards on voted on by other coaches in the district, not by me.”

Co-Most Valuable Player was Braden Bossier, Co-Defensive Player of the Year was Kailyn Partain,  Co-Most Outstanding Setter of the Year was Ashlyn Partain, and Co-Newcomer of the Year was Alyssa Whitaker.

“I feel extremely honored,” Kailyn Partain said. “all the hours of practice and hard work I put into being the best player I could be finally paid off.”

First team All-District members were Katie Judd and Jada Clark, second team members were Rebecca Dunlap and Emi Bonner, and honorable mention members were Kayelee Adams, Jenny Pina, and Kyleigh Hudson.

“I was very excited to receive second team all-district,” junior Emi Bonner said. “It was my first year on varsity so I wasn’t expecting it, but I am proud of myself and the hard work I put in.”

Academic All-District members include Rebecca Dunlap, Ashlyn Partain, Kailyn Partain,  Emi Bonner, and Braden Bossier.

“This year, we had a really smart team who knew how important school is,” junior Braden Bossier said.  “They all stayed on top of their grades while practicing everyday and playing two games a week, which is very difficult to balance.”