Bi-District Football Tonight

Melanie Pina

Eagles take the field against Salado last Friday, winning 28 to 15.

Jack Ezell, Sports Editor

Fairfield will compete against Wills Point High School today at 7:00 p.m. in their first playoff game, earned after their victory last Friday’s against the Salado Eagles.

“I feel like we have been in the playoffs the last 4 weeks,” head coach John Bachtel said.  “After starting district off with a record of 0-2, our backs were against the wall. We have had two choices, and those are to either fight or give up.  Our guys have been fighting for these past few weeks.”

The team will take on Will’s Point, making it Fairfield’s debut in the 2018 playoffs.

“It’s great,” senior Parker Eidson said, “we have been playing like we are playoffs, fighting for our spot, so our next game will be no different.”

The final score of last night’s game ended with a rather close score of 28-15, bringing their final win-loss in district to 8-2.

“Our effectiveness on each side needs to be consistent,” senior Jashaughn Hatcher said, “and we really need to play the game at our speed and let our opponents catch us. The type of offense Wills Point will run is very tricky but our defense was up for the challenge and was able to stop them.”

The team will take on Wills Point on a Thursday instead of a Friday, due to other stadiums already having teams playing the next Friday night.

“We will have a few days to get ready for them,” Hatcher said, “and we will have take advantage of every minute. It’s a great feeling for all of us  to know the seasons isn’t over with yet.”