Starting Season Strong

Lady Eagles head to China Spring with a win

Starting Season Strong

Molly Allred, Managing Editor

Lady Eagles kicked off their basketball season on Saturday with a scrimmage against Robinson, followed by a game against Athens on Tuesday that they won 67-51. All three teams will travel to China Spring on Saturday, with the freshman game beginning at noon.

“Hopefully this win will set the tone for the rest of the season,” sophomore Te’Yalla Simpson said. “I know there will be many more good things to come for our team.”

Practices began on Oct. 17 for the majority of players, but five girls were varsity volleyball players, forcing them to go straight into the scrimmage with only one day of practice.

“It was challenging going into that scrimmage with only one practice because I didn’t have a lot of time to learn and memorize all the plays,” freshman Breyunna Dowell said.

The varsity lineup consists of seniors Shaleah Hunt, Kiara McDonald, Josey Richardson, and Haley Phillips, juniors Belle Johnson, Kaylee Adams, Jada Clark, and Braden Bossier, sophomore Te’Yalla Simpson, and freshmen Jarahle Daniels, Breyunna Dowell, and Emori Davis. Junior Anayiah Larkin and sophomore Jenny Pina will alternate and play for both JV and varsity.

“I am looking forward to this season,” head coach Sally Whitaker said. “We have a good balance of returners and people who are new to varsity. We were district champions last year, so we will have the added pressure of trying to repeat that accomplishment as well as do well in the playoffs.”