District Champs Head to Softball Playoffs

Ashlyn Garcia

Caption: Senior Lauran Adcock throws the ball to first in the last district game, helping her team defeat Mexia and win district.

Ashlyn Partain, Staff Reporter

Being a part of this team is being a part of a family. I’m proud to have accomplished this four-peat and can’t wait to see what we can do in playoffs.

— senior Banner Monico, catcher

The Lady Eagle softball program will play in their first series of playoffs on April 26 and 27 against the Gatesville Lady Hornets.

“We knew coming into this that the first round of playoffs were going to be hard,” sophomore Margo Measles said. “The Waco district has always been good, but this year we are ready to take them on.”

For the fourth year in a row, the Lady Eagles were able to finish their season as district champions. They went undefeated in district play.

“We have worked incredibly hard to get where we are now,” junior Katie Judd said. “But we also understand that the biggest challenge is yet to come, and we are doing everything we can to be fully prepared.”

In their last game of the district season, the Lady Eagles defeated Mexia with seventeen runs to the Lady Cats’ three.

“It’s always been our goal to be the undefeated district champions,” senior Katie Henrichs said. “I’m extremely proud to call myself a part of this team and am confident that the best is yet to come.”

The softball team began practices in early January, and have been forced to endure all types of weather in order to achieve their team goal of becoming district champions.

“The weather this year really could have set us back,” sophomore Bailey Jones said. “But instead of letting it hold us back, we used it as leverage against the other teams.”

With five seniors on their lineup, the Lady Eagles have high hope for their post season play.

“I love playing softball and being a part of such a close knit team,” senior Abby Garcia said. “I know that we can go farther this year than ever before.”

With the inclusion of their current title, the Lady Eagles have been district champions for four consecutive years.

“I’m really going to miss softball after it’s over,”senior Kealie House said. “This is my last opportunity to do something great, and I really think that this is the year for us.”

This line of district championships began with this year’s seniors. They have been key to the softball program’s success.

“These past four years of softball have really been key in making me the player I am today,” senior Lauren Adcock said. “Because of this softball program, I get to go to college for the sport I love.”

The Lady Eagles were knocked out of playoffs after the first round last year, but according to senior Banner Monico, they are confident that their unfortunate luck in playoffs will soon change.

“Being a part of this team is being a part of a family,” Monico said. “I’m proud to have accomplished this four-peat and can’t wait to see what we can do in playoffs.”