Powerlifting Heads to State

Qualifiers in both Girls and Boys

Michelle Rosales

Madi Isaacs prepares to lift at regional powerlifting.

Kelsey Waltmon, Andrea Jauregui, and

Senior Jamie Wilkinson and sophomore Madi Isaacs will travel to the girls state powerlifting meet on Saturday, March 17 in Waco as state qualifiers. Junior Ashlyn Garcia and sophomore Daeja Harris will also travel as alternates. On Saturday, March 24, Junior Jashaughn Hatcher will travel to Abilene for the boys state powerlifting meet as a state qualifier.

“I love powerlifting,” said Isaacs. “We are one big family. It makes working hard much easier when you are surrounded by people who support and encourage you. I am looking forward to going to state. I have worked really hard this year in order to make it. I am ready to see how I compete on a state level.”

The boys regional powerlifting meet took place in Malakoff on Friday, March 2. Senior Ladarius Price received fifth, junior AJ Polk received fifth, and Hatcher received second place, outstanding deadlifter, and outstanding total.

“After I got my first squat, everything seemed to just flow and the meet seemed to speed up,” said Hatcher. “Lift after lift, my confidence grew and I realized I would make it to state.”

Fairfield hosted the girls regional meet and the results are as follows: Wilkinson received second and outstanding bench, senior Sarah Richmond received fifth, Garcia recieved third, and Harris received third.  

“I had high hopes going into that meet,” Wilkinson said. “I may not have met all of my goals, but I got my goal of breaking the record. I am excited for state. But I don’t look forward to powerlifting coming to an end after four years of excitement, dedication, and hard work.”

Fourteen girls qualified for the regional meet this year. These lifters include: senior Leticia Chavez, Wilkinson, Richmond, senior Ivieya Daniels, senior Christina Ferguson, junior Edith Cockerell, Garcia, sophomore Bailey Jones, sophomore Tylie Bruce, Isaacs, sophomore Lyndi Wilson, sophomore Charity Starr, Harris, and freshman Jamesha Fields.

“Our team worked really hard to get where we are,” Garcia said. “All of us had our own goals but the ultimate goal was to get as many girls to state as possible. I am proud of all of us and our hard work this season.”

At the Fairfield boys only meet on February 22, four boys qualified for regionals. These boys include: Price, Hatcher, junior Justin Sander, sophomore Jamike Hudson, sophomore Drew Williams, sophomore Gavin Neidich, and freshman Ty Farmer.

“‘Pain is temporary,” Sander said. “It might last an hour, a day, a week, but quitting is forever.’ It was quotes like this that motivated me through each and every one of my workouts. Thank you to all of my coaches, and all of my friends and family that helped me through the season.”