Students Return to RYLA Leadership Camp

Brodrick Rose, Staff Reporter

They came excited and anxious. They left with their eyes beaming brighter than sun and their smiles filled with joy and exhaustion. Never before had they felt such happiness in taking comfort in the company of strangers. Many would question “what happened at RYLA,” but the answer was always the same. “It’s a secret.”

Students can register and apply for RYLA until March 15, 2018.

“It was fun and life changing,emotional and inspirational, “said junior Melanie Piña. “I can’t go wait to go back again.”

RYLA is the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, which holds a camp in central Texas for students in interact club from their respective school districts.  

“My roommates were mostly from Austin and there was one girl from Corsicana. They were like family and istnalny welcomed.”

RYLA began in Queensland, Australia in a week long festival known as Gundoo. The first RYLA seminar was held is the city of Brisbane from July 8th to July 15. Ryla later spread into the North America, resulting in RYLA organizations and programs all over the United States. Today RYLA consists of many exhausting and exhilarating activities for the students who participate, resulting in the participants going to bed at about 1-2:00am.

“I got about 5-6 hours a night of good sleep,” said Pina. “You don’t really get much rest because your always doing some kind of fun activity.”

The goal of RYLA is to instill leadership qualities in today’s youth, including those who are not popular or well-known within their schools and encourage them to break out of their shells.

“Ryla influenced me to get to know someone before judging them and to never be afraid to show who I really am because of it,” said senior Bailey Warren. “It does not matter what other people think of you. Also I was taught to become more involved in the community and how to show true leadership skills during an activity.”

One of the unique things about RYLA is that participants are not allowed to use their phones for the entire duration of the retreat.

“You have to be without your phone the day you arrive until the day you leave,” said Warren. “Not having my phone made me make the best out of the camp without having to worry about all the social media and hatefulness that occurs everyday.”

RYLA’s activities are considered secrets for those who have already been to RYLA once.

“We aren’t allowed to tell you what activities there are so it is a surprise to everyone who goes,” said senior Britain Bossier. “I can promise that they are a lot of fun and you don’t want to miss out.”

Those who have already attended RYLA once can return once again as a staff members, including Warren and Bossier.

“I applied for camp staff because I wanted to go to RYLA as soon as I left,” said Bossier.
“I knew I still had so much to learn so I knew I had to go back! Bailey Warren and I got so so lucky to be picked to go back to RYLA as Assistant Counselors.”

Those who go to RYLA as counselors and staff members and volunteers will aid in ensuring the camp will run smoothly, along with cooking meals.

“The meals at RYLA are literally heaven,” said Warren. “The food is so good and they have one lady that prepares each meal, but she has some help with a different rotary club everyday.”

Volunteers come and make the food for the campers, including lasagna, steaks, burgers, and also dessert. Campers however are only allowed to to drink water.

RYLA still has an impact on its campers even after they have left the camp as its next group of people from Fairfield prepare to go. These students are Junior Katie Judd and Preston Long and Sophomore Lex Thompson.

Everyone should know before you apply that you need to be able to be open and vulnerable at camp and be willing to make a ton of friends,” said Warren. “I encourage everyone to apply because no other camp in your life will have such a huge impact that you can carry with you the rest of your lifetime.”